I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

I'm a senior finance manager in a fairly big, successful company.  I'm only about a year and a half out of my training contract in practice so it's a really good role and fantastic pay.  But the interview was hilarious and depressingly familiar. 

My potential boss starts talking about all the financial systems they use, TM1, SAP, etc. etc.  I, of course have never used any of them in practice but I sure don't tell her that.  The one good thing I did learn in audit is it's all about sounding like you know what you're talking about and the best way of doing that is saying as little as possible. 

So when my boss starts talking about how great TM1 is, I simply nod, give her a knowing smile and say "Oh of course, I've always been a huge fan of TM1 and that's actually one of the reasons I'm so excited about this role"... and that's it!  She doesn't ask me to explain why, she doesn't ask me to prove I can use it, we simply move on, box ticked!  And the best thing was, a little later she starts talking about Lotus Notes and I thought it was another finance system but at this stage she's convinced I'm some sort of systems super user so a simple nod is all it takes to move things on.  Number one skill in finance - sound good!     

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Very depressingly familiar! My manager in work is an expert in talking the talk, that's pretty much all he does and just delegates all the actual work to his team. Everyone is sick of working for him but all the senior guys love him